|Back to Back Issues Page|
Hi, How to make time stand still - Time Creation Newsletter
August 04, 2008
How I made time stand still Ė and you can too!! -
I have just got back from 10 days holiday. This morning I was back in to my old routine and I noticed nothing had changed. It was as if time stood still while I was away.
On my morning run I go past about 5 building sites. I couldnít tell if anything has changed on any site. The same people were out early running, riding and walking the dog. At the coffee shop, the same people were there. They said high, but I donít think they even noticed that I had been away.
I felt like I had been in a time warp. Like time stood still while I was away and I arrived back about one minute after I left.
It made me stop and think. Each day I help people feel like they have more time. My perception this morning was that time had stood still, yet at the very same moment all many of my clients (and thousands of other people) felt like they had no time at all.
This led me to ask myself about how we perceive time. How a minute can seem like such a long time in one situation and such a short time in another.
We have all experienced it
In my workshops on communicating more effectively I use an exercise where people have to talk for one minute and the person listening ignores and/or distracts them. The participants tell me this minute takes ďforeverĒ.
What if everything to do with time is significantly influenced by perception!
In the simplest terms this means that if you want more time you create a mindset that allows a perception of more time or time moving slowly and you get it! Now I didnít say it was easy. I do though, think it is possible.Today I realised how much my work is about changing peopleís perception about time.
You donít have to manage time, find time or make time. Just choose to focus on cues that make time appear as you want it to.
me. I felt as I had a holiday that lasted longer than 10days, yet when
back everything fell in to place like I hadnít been away -- as if I had
back in time, or I was in a time warp, where time stood still until I
to my normal routine. My busy clients tell me my next experience could
travelling, like fast forward on the DVD player, and my holiday will
it was a long
Could it be that your perception of having so much to do and being busy IS what makes you feel like you donít have enough time!
Over the next week, stop and reflect (at breakfast and dinner) when did time seem to "fly" today and when did it seem to stand still?
Look for a pattern of similar situations where time seems to fly.
What could you change so that you can slow down the perception of time flying?
Some examples could be:
- Stop every hour and ask "Is this the best use of my time right now?"
- Take a lunch break
- Ask for the deadline to be extended
- Reduce the size of the task you are doing
What would work for you?
Laugh out Loud
Murphy's Lesser Known Laws
Murphy's Lesser-Known Laws
1. Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
2. He who laughs last, thinks slowest.
3. Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.
4. Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
5. The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.
6. The things that come to those who wait will be the things left by those who got there first.
7. The shin bone is a device for finding furniture in a dark room.
8. A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.
9. When you go into court, you are putting yourself in the hands of 12 people who weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty.
More great Time Management Information
Lots more time management tools, tips and resources to help you save time
Time Management Quiz -- A short yet powerful time management quiz.
Time Management Forms -- Download and use our time management forms to get control of your time
Time Management Articles -- A comprehensive library of time management articles with information that really saves you time.
Time Management Planners -- A short review of leading time management planners.
Michael, Graham and the Time Creation Team
Contact us on 03 9849 1723
© 2008 Time Creation Coaching. All rights reserved. Please pass the above in its entirety to anyone you wish.
|Back to Back Issues Page|